SEHS@Dayton Tuition, Billing and Financial Aid FAQ

Tuition and Billing

How much is the enrollment deposit, and when is it due?
There is a $200 nonrefundable enrollment deposit due once admitted.

Can I use financial aid to cover the deposit?
No, federal student aid cannot be used to pay the deposit. Your nonrefundable deposit must be paid prior to enrolling to secure your seat in the program, and the full deposit will be applied to your first term’s bill.

Will I be able to view my award package before submitting the deposit?
To view your award package in your student portal, you must be enrolled. To learn more about your options prior to submitting your deposit, please visit UD’s Graduate School Affordability page. If you have additional questions, please contact your admission counselor or the financial aid office.

When will I receive a tuition bill, and when is payment due?
Tuition bills are prepared on the 1st of the month following course registration, with your payment due on the 22nd of the month.

How do I view my bill?
Statement of Account notifications will be sent via email for review in your University of Dayton student Portal, Porches.

What are the accepted forms of payment?
You can pay your bill online directly through My Payment Center, which can be found on Porches. Go to Porches, select Flyer Student Services and then go to My Payment Center.

You may use:

  • An e-check – ACH
  • A credit card (a convenience fee is required)

You may also mail a payment check to the processing center listed on your bill. If you are local to the University of Dayton, you may pay in person during normal business hours at St. Mary’s Hall, Room 108. You may use:

  • A check
  • Cash

How does my employer go about paying the school?
Your employer should use the same methods discussed under “How do I pay my bill?” If your employer is reimbursing you for tuition costs, we offer an Employer Deferred Tuition Reimbursement Plan. For questions, please contact Kathy Ferguson between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday:

Phone: +1-937-229-4113 or +1-800-259-7117.
Fax: 937-229-4117
Office: Room 108, St. Mary’s Hall, 300 College Park Drive, Dayton, OH 45469-1600

Are payment plan options available for online students?
No, payment plans are not available.

What are the consequences if my tuition bill is not paid when classes begin?
Students with student accounts that are financially delinquent, and for which no confirmed payment arrangements have been made with the Office of Student Accounts, are subject to penalties and loss of certain university privileges including, but not limited to, loss of registration status, student housing and dining services. Students with delinquent accounts are not permitted to register for classes.

If I’m eligible to receive a refund, what is the process?
Credit balances resulting from loans or financial aid awards are available for refund after the first week of the semester. You may sign up online for direct deposit of refunds, otherwise checks will be mailed to your permanent address on file. Instructions are on the Flyer Student Services website.

What is the Title IV Authorization?
University of Dayton can receive authorization from the student to apply these funds for other charges, such as health center fees, interest charges, etc. Federal Title IV funds consist of the Federal Pell Grant, the Federal SEOG Grant, Federal Direct Loans, Federal Perkins Loans, the Federal PLUS Loan and the Federal TEACH Grant. In addition, the University of Dayton can receive authorization to apply excess Title IV funds to the prior year’s education-related charges for up to $200. For more information and to access the Title IV Authorization form, visit UD’s Financial Aid Forms page.

Who can I contact at University of Dayton for billing and payment questions?
All billing questions should be directed to the Office of Student Accounts. The Office of Student Accounts can be reached at or +1-937-229-4141.

University of Dayton Student Portal Setup

How do I set up my Dayton email address
A UD email address account is provided to all UD students, faculty and staff upon enrollment or employment. This account provides access to your UDmail as well as other Google services. Unlike a consumer Gmail account, this account is administered by UDIT, is ad-free and offers unlimited email storage space.

You can access UDmail on your Front Porch tab in your Porches portal. Log in with your University of Dayton username and password, then look for the UDmail channel in the middle of the Front Porch tab.

What is the University of Dayton student portal?
The University of Dayton student portal is called Porches. Your Porches account includes access to academic records, billing, financial aid, direct deposit setup and more. You will need your ID username and password to log in to Porches.

Financial Aid at University of Dayton

Does University of Dayton offer internal scholarships to online students?
Students may qualify for select competitive awards offered by the University of Dayton or can identify private independent scholarships for which they can apply separately from the admission application or the federal aid process.

Are there University of Dayton–specific supplemental financial aid forms I need to complete?
University of Dayton does not require any school-specific supplemental forms; however, any additional forms that may be needed can be found in Porches. If you are a new student and are planning to apply for federal student aid, you will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), Entrance Counseling and the Loan Agreement Master Promissory Note (MPN) on the Federal Student Aid website.

What federal student aid is available to graduate students?
The types of federal student aid graduate students are eligible to apply for include the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan and the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan. Learn more about the types of federal student aid.

Why are graduate students not eligible for the Federal Pell Grant or the Federal Subsidized Loan?
The Department of Education awards Federal Pell Grants and Direct Subsidized Loans to eligible undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need and have not yet completed their bachelor’s degrees. The Department of Education does not evaluate need or income for loans at the graduate or professional level. Therefore, graduate students are not eligible for the Federal Pell Grant nor the Direct Subsidized Loan.

Are there academic standards I must meet to continue to receive federal student aid?
Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) (PDF, 380kb) to continue receiving financial aid.

What is the minimum number of credits required to receive federal student aid?
Students must register for at least 3 credit hours per term to receive federal aid.

What are private loans?
Private education loans, also known as alternative loans, are offered by private lenders to help students bridge the gap between the cost of education and the amount the government allows you to borrow in federal loans. Lenders offer private educational loans with different rates, fees, repayment terms and approval requirements.

Are private loans offered at the University of Dayton?
University of Dayton does not offer private loans. To assist you in the search for additional financial resources, we provide you with a private loan comparison tool, FAST Choice. FAST Choice provides a list of lenders our students have used over the last three academic years. This information is updated on an annual basis. Additionally, FAST Choice can help you understand how to plan for the successful repayment of your private loan.

When will I receive my financial aid award?
Financial aid awards are typically prepared within three to five business days after admittance if a FAFSA is on file for the year.

How do I accept my financial aid award?
In order for your loan to be officially disbursed, you must electronically sign your award letter and Loan Agreement (MPN), and Entrance Counseling must be completed through after accepting the loan. You will need to use your Federal Student Aid ID and password to access the site and complete the required paperwork. Award letters will not go out to students unless the MPN and Entrance Counseling are completed.

Am I required to accept the full amount that I am offered on my award letter?
No, you do not have to accept the full amount offered. Students are encouraged to borrow only what is needed. You can choose to accept all, part or none of your financial aid award.

Does my Direct Loan eligibility cover the entire cost of the program?
Assuming you are eligible for both the Direct Unsubsidized Loan and the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan, the aid will cover the current academic year for which you are enrolled.

How soon will loans disburse to my student account?
Federal student loans do not disburse earlier than 10 days prior to the start of classes.

Can I use loans to cover additional expenses such as living expenses, books, supplies, etc.?
The cost of attendance budget includes funding for books and technology expenses, as well as a moderate amount that can be used for living expenses. If you borrow to cover expenses beyond tuition and fees, which would be reflected on your tuition bill, keep in mind that refunds are disbursed in compliance with federal regulations. Students are encouraged to borrow responsibly. Remember, you can borrow less than what is offered, and you should only borrow what you need.

Is there an immersion required for this program? If so, will I be able to use the loan funds to cover these expenses?
Some programs require students to attend immersion(s) on the University of Dayton’s campus. Please refer to the program-specific pages for more details on your immersion requirements.

There may be fees associated with each immersion. If you are eligible for additional loan funds/refunds, you may be able to use those resources to cover your immersion fees and expenses.

Who can I contact at the University of Dayton with financial aid questions?
If you have any questions about tuition and financial aid at the University of Dayton, please email or call +1-800-427-5029, Option 1.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

What is the FAFSA?
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the application the Department of Education uses to determine if you are eligible to receive federal student aid.

Where can I find the FAFSA?
The FAFSA is available online at The FAFSA is a free application; you will not be asked to pay.

What is the University of Dayton FAFSA school code?
The University of Dayton FAFSA school code is 003127.

Do I need my parents’ tax information to complete the FAFSA?
If you are applying for graduate school, you are considered an independent student and do not need to include your parents’ information to complete the FAFSA.

What is the Expected Family Contribution (EFC)?
The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is a measurement of your ability to contribute toward your educational costs. As a graduate/professional student, your EFC is not a factor in your eligibility for federal student loans.

When should I complete the FAFSA?
The FAFSA is available every Oct. 1 for the upcoming academic year. New students planning to use federal student aid should complete a FAFSA while applying for admission. Continuing students will need to submit a FAFSA each year they plan to receive federal student aid.

Please reference the chart below to determine which FAFSA to fill out based on your desired start date:

StartTermFAFSA Year
January 2024
Spring 2024
May 2024
Summer 2024
September 2024
Fall 2024
January 2025
Spring 2025
May 2025
Summer 2025
September 2025
Fall 2025

Do I need to complete the FAFSA each year?
Yes. Because eligibility for federal student aid does not carry over from one award year to the next, you will need to complete the FAFSA for each award year for which you are or plan to be a student.

What constitutes an academic year for federal student aid?
An academic year is the year for which financial aid is used to fund your education. Generally, this is the 12-month period that begins on July 1 of one year and ends on June 30 of the following year.

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan

What is the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan?
The Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan is a federal loan offered to students to help with the cost of education. The Federal Unsubsidized Loan is not based on income or financial need.

What criteria are used to determine eligibility for federal student aid?
The Direct Unsubsidized Loan is not based on income. In order to apply for federal student aid, you must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen
  • Have a valid Social Security number (SSN)
  • Be registered with Selective Service, if you are male (you must register between the ages of 18 and 25)
  • Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an eligible degree program
  • Be enrolled at least half-time in an eligible program
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP)
  • Not currently be in default on previous federal student loans
  • Not have exceeded the maximum aggregate loan limit

Learn more about federal student aid eligibility criteria on the Federal Student Aid website.

What is the aggregate loan limit?
The aggregate loan limit is the total amount that you may borrow in federal student loans for undergraduate and graduate study. In addition to borrowing limitations based on the cost of attendance for the program, students are also limited in terms of lifetime borrowing. The maximum aggregate loan limit for federal loans is $138,500. This amount does not include PLUS loans, nor private loans.

If the total loan amount you receive over the course of your education reaches the aggregate loan limit, you are not eligible to receive additional loans. However, if you repay some of your loans to bring your outstanding loan debt below the aggregate loan limit, you could then borrow again, up to the amount of your remaining eligibility under the aggregate loan limit. You can learn more about graduate annual loan limits on the Federal Student Aid website.

How do I find out if I am near my aggregate loan limit or have defaulted on a federal student loan?
Log in on the homepage to view your federal student loan borrowing history and loan servicer details. Please note that private education loans are not listed on this site. Students in default are not eligible for additional federal loans. Contact your lender for default resolution options.

What is the difference between a Direct Unsubsidized Loan and a Direct Subsidized Loan?
Direct Subsidized Loans are available to undergraduate students with financial need. The U.S. Department of Education pays the interest on subsidized loans while students are enrolled in their undergraduate program. The Direct Unsubsidized Loan is available to undergraduate and graduate students and does not require demonstration of financial need. The Unsubsidized Loan begins accruing interest as soon as funds are disbursed. Learn more about the difference between unsubsidized and subsidized loans.

How much am I eligible for with the Direct Unsubsidized Loan?
Most graduate-level students are potentially eligible to receive up to $20,500 per academic year from the Direct Unsubsidized Loan. Learn more about graduate annual loan limits.

How do I apply for the Direct Unsubsidized Loan?
To apply for the Direct Unsubsidized Loan, you must complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

What is the current Direct Unsubsidized Loan interest rate?
The Direct Unsubsidized Loan interest rate is determined on an annual basis. Learn more about interest rates on the Federal Student Aid website.

Are there any additional loan fees for the Direct Unsubsidized Loan?
There is a loan origination fee that is a percentage of the total loan amount. The loan origination fee is deducted proportionately from each loan disbursement you receive. Information on Unsubsidized Loan origination fees can be found on the Interest Rates and Fees page of the Federal Student Aid website.

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan

What is the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
The Direct Graduate PLUS Loan is a federal loan that graduate or professional degree students can use to help pay education expenses in addition to the Direct Unsubsidized Loan. Learn about Direct PLUS Loans.

Do Direct PLUS Loans affect my aggregate loan limit?
Only Direct Subsidized/Direct Unsubsidized Loans (formerly referred to as Stafford Loans) and federal loans made through the Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program count toward your aggregate loan limit.

What are the eligibility criteria to apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
A credit check will be conducted when applying for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan. In addition to the federal student aid eligibility criteria, applicants cannot have an adverse credit history.

What are the credit criteria to receive the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
One of the eligibility requirements to receive a Graduate PLUS Loan is that you must not have an adverse credit history. A credit check is performed to determine whether a Graduate PLUS Loan applicant meets this requirement.

How much can I borrow from the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
If approved for the Grad PLUS Loan, you can borrow up to the cost of attendance as determined by Dayton.

When can I apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
You can apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan within 180 days of the start of your program, or once you are enrolled.

How do I apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
The financial aid office will notify you of your financial aid eligibility once your file is complete. Review your financial aid award and decide how much of the Graduate PLUS Loan you’ll need to cover your charges/expenses. Once you have made the decision to apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan, visit to complete the Direct PLUS Loan request.

What are the next steps if I’m approved for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
If approved, complete the Graduate PLUS Loan Agreement Master Promissory Note (MPN) on the Federal Student Aid website.

What are my options if I’m denied the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
If you are denied the Graduate PLUS Loan, you may reapply with an endorser or follow the instructions on the Department of Education’s website to appeal the denial.

What is the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan current interest rate?
The Direct Graduate PLUS Loan interest rate is determined at the beginning of each academic year, and is available on the Federal Student Aid website’s Interest Rates and Fees page.

Are there any additional loan fees for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
There is a loan origination fee that is a percentage of the total loan amount. The loan origination fee is deducted proportionately from each loan disbursement you receive. Information on Direct Graduate PLUS Loan origination fees can be found on the Interest Rates and Fees page of the Federal Student Aid website.

Loan Repayment

Do I have to repay my student loans while I’m in school?
You can defer payment on your federal student loans if you are enrolled at least half-time. You should be aware that although you can defer payments while you are in school, interest will still accrue on your loan(s).

Your Unsubsidized Loan will go into repayment six months after you graduate, fall below half-time status, take a leave of absence or withdraw from the program. Most private loans also have deferred payment options while you are in school; however, you will need to check with your loan servicer.

When do I have to repay my loan?
After you graduate, leave school or drop below half-time enrollment, you will have a six-month grace period before you are required to begin repayment. During this period, you’ll receive repayment information from your loan servicer, and you will be notified of your first payment due date. Payments are usually due monthly. You are not required to pay while in school; however if you choose to, there is no penalty to prepay. Learn more about repayment timelines.

What are the repayment plan options, and how do I select one?
The Department of Education (ED) offers multiple options for repayment. You may visit the ED website for more information on loan repayment plans.

Is there a repayment calculator or estimator that I can use?
Yes, visit the ED website for repayment calculators.

Can I consolidate my graduate loans and my undergraduate loans?
A Direct Consolidation Loan allows you to consolidate (combine) multiple federal education loans into one loan including both graduate and undergraduate loans. The result is a single monthly payment instead of multiple payments. Learn more about loan consolidation.

Are there any loan forgiveness options available?
In certain circumstances, all or a portion of a borrower’s federal student loans may be forgiven under the federal government’s loan forgiveness program. Please review the Department of Education website for more information on federal loan forgiveness programs.

Military Education Benefits

How do I apply for military education benefits?
Complete the Education Benefits Application to apply for your VA Benefits. It will take VA a minimum of 30 days to make a decision on education claims. You will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA in the mail detailing your education benefit. Submit it to UD Veterans Services at

Complete our Chapter Checklist form. Once your schedule is finalized, submit the Request for VA Certification. You must submit your request for certification every semester. If this is your first semester utilizing benefits, our office will work with you to ensure certification is complete for the first semester of your enrollment.

Expect to receive an email within two weeks confirming that your courses and tuition were submitted to VA for certification. If you make changes to your registration, notify us via email at

What are the eligibility factors for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®?
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). You are potentially eligible for this VA-administered program if you have at least 90 days of aggregate active-duty service after Sept. 10, 2001, and are still on active duty, or if you are an honorably discharged veteran or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

How are Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits calculated at University of Dayton?
The amount of money that you receive differs depending on what chapter of VA benefits you are receiving and how many hours you are taking. Additionally, rates are adjusted generally on an annual basis.

What is the deadline to apply for VA education benefits?
There are no deadline dates to apply for VA benefits. Visit Dayton Veterans Services for additional information.

What are current rates of benefits, including the Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA)?
The tuition and fee payment rates and the MHA are determined at the beginning of each military academic year on Aug. 1. The current rate table is located on the Education and Training page of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs site.

Because University of Dayton is a private university, students who receive Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits are subject to a maximum tuition and fee reimbursement per academic year (Aug. 1 through July 31). The amount of the national cap changes each year on Aug. 1, and benefits are available to be used from Aug. 1 to July 31 of the following year.

When VA benefits are calculated, the amount of this national cap must be expended before Yellow Ribbon Program benefits can be awarded.

What is the Yellow Ribbon Program (YRP)?
The Yellow Ribbon Program allows degree-granting colleges and universities to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the VA to fund tuition and fee expenses that exceed the national maximum per academic year.

Participating institutions choose their contribution amount, and the VA matches that amount and issues payment directly to the school. There are a limited number of Yellow Ribbon awards available. For additional information on available benefits and eligibility for the Yellow Ribbon Program, visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.

Does University of Dayton participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program (YRP)?
The University of Dayton is proud to be a Yellow Ribbon Program participant. Applications are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. Please visit the University of Dayton’s Yellow Ribbon Program page for more information.

Who can I contact at University of Dayton for questions about using military education benefits?
Please contact a Flyer Student Services counselor for questions about using military benefits. You may call 937-229-4311 or email for assistance, or visit the Dayton Veterans Services page.

Tax Benefits for Education

How do I qualify for a tuition tax credit?
For details on tax benefits for education, see IRS Publication 970: Tax Benefits for Higher Education, which provides detailed information. The University of Dayton is unable to provide tax advice. We urge you to contact your tax advisor or the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) (at +1-800-829-1040 or if you have any questions regarding the HOPE or Lifetime Learning Tax Credits.

What is the 1098-T Form?
It is an informational form filed with the IRS to report the amounts billed to you for qualified tuition, related expenses and other related information. The primary purpose of IRS Form 1098-T is to inform you that we have provided this required information to the IRS.

What information is included in the 1098-T Form?
Form 1098-T reports amounts paid for qualified tuition, scholarship and grants processed in 2019 to students enrolled in courses at the University of Dayton for which they received academic credit. The information reported on the 1098-T Form helps students evaluate whether they are eligible for an educational tax credit.

How do I obtain my 1098-T Form
Eligible students who did not receive a 1098-T Form in the mail have opted to receive the information in electronic form only in My Payment Center. The electronic 1098-T is also available to those who received a paper copy by mail.

Log in to Porches and choose the Flyer Student Services tab. There is a link to My Payment Center in the My Awards and Payments section.

Take the Next step

Earn Your Master of Science in Education in Educational Leadership

Request Information